i hereby propose the inception of the "120-club". what is it? i'm glad you asked. :)
to become a member of the 120-club your sole requirement is to write a minimum of 120 posts to your blog a year. that's it. this works out to 10 posts a month, which i don't think is unattainable or unrealistic. for some of you reading this that add to your blog on a daily basis, 10 posts a month seems kinda low. for the rest of us who would like to write more often but have really been slacking off since we joined twitter (or some other excuse like having more kids, etc) then 10 posts a month will be an effort. but it's an effort i think we'll feel good about doing when the year's over.
there's no requirement on how long the posts need to be, or if they include or exclude video or photographic posts. simply that you add content to your blog on a consistent basis.
it's not a contest of who can write the most. it doesn't matter if you write 10 per month to get to 120, or if you just wait till next december and cram all 120 posts during your Christmas vacation. as long as you achieve 120 by the end of the year, you're in the 120-club. of course you can write more if you'd like, but you can start your own "club" for any number higher than 120.
as an added incentive for myself (not a requirement of the 120-club), i'll be setting aside $10 a month for this cause. for every month that i write at least 10 posts, i'll set aside those $10 for a charity of my choice. for every month that i don't write at least 10 posts then those $10 will be equally divided amongst all who accept the challenge of the 120-club in the comments of this post AND who are also successful in receiving membership.*
perhaps, i'll also design a special "120-club" award/button for members to add to their own blogs next january. maybe i'll make this a consistent resolution/challenge every year. then bloggers can show with pride how many years they've been members of the 120-club. (ok, so maybe that's kinda hokey, but perhaps some people like that sort of recognition.)
if you don't currently have a blog but are thinking about starting one (solely because you want to be part of the über-cool 120-club), i'd suggest using wordpress.com as a free-easy-beautiful way to start.
so let me know in the comments if you'd like to accept the challenge of the 120-club this year as well and we can all keep each other accountable.
// today i'm thankful for:
1. warmer weather, should be in the mid 40s to low 50s today
2. my wife, who plans out our meals for the month.
3. anna, who finally got to make a snowman before the snow melted
4. julia, who makes me laugh because she gets annoyed when her talking is interrupted by her hiccups and then she has to start her sentence over again.
5. my job at an apple reseller, Apple, Inc seems to be trending in the opposite direction of the rest of the economy.
* so if 10 people state that they want to try for membership in the 120-club, but at the end of the year only 3 of those actually achieve it AND i don't write my 10 posts per month, then i'll divide the $120 i've set aside at the end of the year between those three individuals. if for some reason there are more than 120 people who accept and accomplish the 120-club challenge (and i don't) then instead of giving each person $1 or less i'll have a vote amongst those who are members as to which charity to donate the money to.